Where will our customers be?
Where can I recruit the best people at the lowest cost?
Where is it most cost efficient to start and operate a company in terms of taxes and administration?
And most importantly where do I want to live?
The candidates on the list were Stockholm, London and Barcelona with the obvious choice being Barcelona.
- Great weather all year around
- Great standard of living with the longest city beach in Europe and more bars and restaurants than you can ever dream of
- Low cost flight connections throughout Europe
- Attractive city to recruit people at a relatively low cost (50% of London salaries) as everyone wants to come and visit and eventually live in Barcelona
- Possible to keep the team together in one place thanks to low transportation costs
- Taxes are relatively low
- International city growing rapidly and dynamically
- Few big brands/companies located here
- Most of our customers won't be based here
- Difficult to recruit local staff due to lack of English skills and poor software development training
- Potentially dangerous city as you can have too much fun
- Increasing living costs with property prices, food and other expenses rising
Was it eventually the right decision? YES!